NorthSur connects entrepreneurs, organizations, governments and financing from the United States and Latin America on topics related to entrepreneurship and social capital markets.
NorthSur, together with El Mercurio (largest media company in Chile) and Common (common.is) is putting together Common Pitch Chile: Explotemos la Innovacion. Our sponsors to date are Corfo (Ministry of Innovation of Chile), Imagen de Chile (government agency related to the PR of Chile) Start Up Chile, Virgin Mobile and Endeavor Chile.
The theme of Common Pitch Chile’s is “Exploiting Innovation” through sustainable and socially aware business. The event is a four-day urban festival, taking place in Santiago, Chile, November 28th through December 1st, 2012.
The four-day event features:
• A “green carpet” invitation-only VIP event to kick things off on Wednesday evening, November 28th
• Keynote address by former U.S. Vice-President and Nobel Peace Prize winner Al Gore, November 29th
• Music, art and cultural events throughout the four days including Devendra Banhardt and Devotchka
• Common Boot Camp workshops on social entrepreneurialism, covering issues of sustainability, profitability, social return, venture capital, branding and marketing including visit of Tom Chi, head experiential of Google X
• Attendance by 3,000 to 4,000 young entrepreneurs, business leaders, policy makers and the Chilean creative community
• Mentorship day, in which the Pitch finalists are mentored by socent experts and advocates
• The final Pitch! A pitch competition in which 8-10 finalist social entrepreneurs pitch their ideas to a panel of expert judges, and to the audience both physically present and online (a People’s Choice award)
Common Pitch has taken place in cities of many different stripes: Boulder, CO; Brooklyn, NY; Cape Town, South Africa; Milwaukee,
Why is this event so important to Chile?
Chile has to graduate to the next level. Therefore the question is whether a new generation of Chileans can change their way of thinking? Can a culture of entrepreneurship, innovation and sustainability take root? Can we move beyond the legacy of a mineral-resource based economy to one based on intellectual and entrepreneurial revolution and leadership?
The tendencies and desires of a society and the pressure to make changes often comes from the younger generation. In Chile this generation is no different from it counterpart in the US, but has less tools and opportunities to express itself.
Common Pitch Chile will be covered by Chilean television, radio, print, and online and social media. Our media partners are El Mercurio and Television Nacional. In addition El Mercurio will be covering the event editorially.
Partners in the US
Our partner in the US is Common, LLC, a social entrepreneurship accelerator and collaborative brand started by Alex Bogusky and Rob Schuham in 2011, now headed by Dan Burrier and Mark Eckhardt. As mentioned, Common has produced Pitch events in South Africa, New York, Boulder, and Milwaukee. Common also conducts MBAs (Maniacal Business Attacks)–four day intensive workshops that challenge congenital notions of vision, mission, strategy and market approach for socially minded enterprises–and is a parent or umbrella global brand for startup social enterprises